Cross of Christ Episcopal Church has found a new home.

The congregation's first worship service in the historic building formerly occupied by Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church on FM 56 North will be held Sunday, Oct. 6.

In 1948, Mr. A. H. Roden of Glen Rose donated acreage on North FM 56 to the Duffau Association, the largest Primitive Baptist Church Association in Texas. The original worship area was a "brush arbor" that was later replaced by an open-air tabernacle, where many camp revivals were held.

In 1955, Elder Berley Welch and his wife, Treasure, founded the Texas Youth Camp on the acreage, hosting many children and youth of the Primitive Baptist Association. The present church building was moved to the property in 1960 and was called Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church. Elder Welch retired in Glen Rose and pastored the congregation until his death.

The original congregation has scattered, aged and died, and the only remaining member is Mrs. Treasure Welch of Glen Rose, who currently resides near her children, in an assisted-living facility in Ft. Worth.

Mrs. Welch oversees the foundation that holds the property, and it has been her wish that it only be sold to - or used by - another church. The facility has been rented to other congregations in the past but has remained vacant for more than two years.

Meanwhile, Cross of Christ Episcopal Church worships in a warehouse building on U.S. Highway 67 and has been seeking a more suitable space with greater visibility.

Mrs. Welch - on behalf of the Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church - has graciously agreed to lease the historic property to the Episcopalians. With only minor changes to the worship space, Cross of Christ has retained the history of the building, including a beautiful mural that remains visible behind the altar.

Service of Holy Communion will be at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 6.

Cross of Christ is a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of Ft. Worth, The Rt. Rev. Jack Iker, Bishop.