Dr. Roger Marks
GLEN ROSE — Dr. Roger Edward Marks, 87, a loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather passed away on Saturday, Dec. 13, 2008, in Glen Rose.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 20, 2008, at First United Methodist Church in Glen Rose. Burial will follow in Squaw Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 until 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 19, 2008, at Wiley Funeral Home in Glen Rose.
Roger was born in Hornell, New York on April 10, 1921. By the time he was 13 years old he had lost both his mother and father and spent his high school years living with his grandparents in Hornell. He graduated from Hornell High School as valedictorian of his class and enrolled at Alfred University in Alfred New York where he lettered in cross-country and tennis. On his own and in financial need, he found his first job on the Alfred campus tutoring a deaf student. Although Roger did not know sign language he quickly learned. During his stay at Alfred he attended all of this student’s classes as well as his own. He often said that he received two educations at Alfred, his own and the student that he tutored. After three years at Alfred, he applied to Albany Medical School and was accepted. Upon graduation from medical school, he made the decision to do his internship in San Francisco, California, where he met his future wife, Edwyna Davis. They were married in San Francisco on March 14, 1947, and moved shortly afterwards to the East Coast where he eventually completed his service with the Army Medical Corps in Bound Brook, New Jersey. After answering an advertisement in a medical journal, he and his family moved to Glen Rose in December of 1949.
Roger joined the practice of Dr. John James Hanna, treating inpatients at the Ole Barnard’s Mill physicians’ offices, making house calls throughout Somervell County, often to be paid with a sack of corn or a side of beef. In 1955, Roger joined with Dr. Robert English and purchased the hospital from Dr. Hanna forming the Marks-English Hospital where Dr. Marks and Dr. English delivered babies, performed emergency surgery, provided cardiac care, and inpatient as well as outpatient services.
In 1971, he constructed and opened the Marks-English Hospital and Glen Rose Nursing Home on the current site of the Glen Rose Medical Center. This was accomplished by community support from the Glen Rose Industrial Foundation and the Small Business Administration. With amazing foresight, Dr. Roger Marks envisioned a single campus, a rural continuum of health care with a sweeping grasp of a family’s needs from birth to the end of life - a hospital engaged with primary physicians’ offices and connected to a nursing home.
Roger retired in 1986 to Pecan Plantation where he volunteered as the Medical Director of Pecan Plantation EMS and instituted the use of a field defibrillator, which was used to save a life within the first six months of implementation.
In the 35 years that he practiced medicine in Glen Rose, he had a major impact on Somervell County both as a physician and as a compassionate leader. He was Mayor of Glen Rose from 1955 to 1959, established the first community library, served on the School Board and as the Glen Rose Tiger’s team physician where he attended football and basketball games for 40 years. He was the founding President of the Optimist Club and established the annual all-sports banquet in honor of the young athletes of Glen Rose High School. He also was on the board of First United Methodist Church of Glen Rose where he taught high school Sunday school and sponsored many youth activities.
During his years of practice, Roger was often noted by his peers as an excellent diagnostician, and for his knowledge of cardiac care and treatment during a time when transportation of critically ill and seriously injured people was next to impossible without risk of life or limb. Lives were saved, babies were born, and families had a doctor they knew they could count on in time of need, day or night 5 miles or 25 miles away. Dr Roger E. Marks was there because he cared and he loved his community, the practice of medicine, the hospital, his church, the youth, his friends, his family and the love of his life, Edwyna.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Charles Edward Marks and Francis Ella Wilcox Marks; his wife Edwyna Marks; his sister, Marion Spencer; and a granddaughter, Rachel Allen, daughter of Judy.
Survivors include sons, Warren and wife Dixie of Keller, Gary and wife Vickie of Glen Rose; daughters, Judy Hagen and husband Bob of Plano, Candy Schuelke and husband Mike of Fort Worth; grandchildren, Jennifer Jones and husband Sam, Stephanie Holland and husband Ryan, Brian Marks and wife Jennifer, Sam Schuelke and wife Mehgan, Heather Weaver and husband Jason, Shanna Schuelke, Brent Marks and wife Candice, Steven Allen, Dixie Sikes and husband Eddie, Lucie Warfield and husband Ben, Chris Hagen and Bradley Hagen; great grandchildren, Gus, Jack and Oliver Jones, Cale Calahan, Madeline and Ashley Weaver, Zachary Holland, Porter and Lanie Sikes, Aubrey Schuelke and a host of dear friends from the community of Glen Rose and surrounding areas. The family would also like to express a very special thanks to Dr. Bruce Carpenter, the nurses and aides of the Glen Rose Nursing home and to The Universal Hospice of Glen Rose.
Published Dec. 18, 2008
Glen Rose Reporter