GLEN ROSE - Tina Franklin is a devoted mother and she recently stopped by the Reporter to place an ad in the paper for a fund she set up to help her son, Charlie Hulsey.
Hulsey, who was trying to turn his life around after battling with drug addiction, recently moved to Augusta, Ga., with his girlfriend and their children. He found a job and was working for almost three months when tragedy struck.
On Oct. 28, Hulsey was injured when a pressure washer exploded at work. According to Franklin, Husley and his co-worker drained gas from the washer prior to going to lunch and when they returned he went to check it and that is when the washer exploded. Husley, who was covered with gas vapors from draining the machine, quickly caught on fire. He was rushed to the hospital and underwent debridement. Franklin, drove the 16 hours to Augusta not truly knowing the extent of his injuries.
“I was crying and upset and didn’t know what to expect,” she said.
When she got there she learned that Husley’s whole left side had been burned, with his arm and hand receiving the worst of the injuries. Franklin says that Husley faces a long recovery. He still has multiple debridement treatments to go through before they can start performing skin grafts on him. The doctors have told him it could take anywhere from six months to two years to recover from his injuries.
While Husley’s medical treatments are covered by worker’s compensation, the young family is financially struggling to stay afloat, since Hulsey was the primary breadwinner of the household said Franklin. She has tried to contribute to the mounting bills the couple, but with her own bills to pay she could only help a little, so she decided to set up a fund.
If you would like to make a donation the account has been set up at First Financial Bank in the name of Tina Franklin Trustee for Charlie Hulsey.