GLEN ROSE — Thanks to the quick response of the Somervell County Sheriff’s Office and the Somervell County Fire Department, a home was saved from being a complete loss early Tuesday morning.

According to SCFD Chief Mark Crawford, crews were dispatched to the 2800 block of CR 303 around 4:50 a.m. and found the inside of the home on fire. SCSO Sgt. Anders Dahl and Deputy William Resto arrived first on the scene, and Crawford credits the officers for containing the fire to the living room with the use of fire extinguishers they carry with them in their patrol cars.

Crawford said an ember escaped from a fireplace during the night and ignited the blaze. The five occupants of the house were awoken by heavy smoke and escaped out of bedroom windows.

A 12-year-old boy suffered a deep laceration to his leg while exiting and was transported to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth to receive care for the non-life-threatening injury, Crawford said. 

SCFD Engine 1, Engine 2, Medic 1 and Chief 1 responded to the call. 

With the cooler temperatures and with more people using their fireplaces, heaters and furnaces, Crawford stresses the importance of routinely checking, adding or replacing faulty smoke detectors.