The settlers of the area began to utilize a Home Guard and established it at the mouth of Paluxy River and Squaw Creek, twenty miles below Stockton, with nine men, (the writer being one of the numbers) were out on a day's scout. 
About 12 o'clock, they came to W. M. Powell's place on Squaw Creek, one of the first settlers in that area of the country.  Capt. Swank halted the men to get water.  Uncle Billy Powell came out to tell us of the race the Stockton and Thorp Springs boys had with the Indians at Rescue Gap, taking the horses and so forth. Silas Scarborough, Uncle Billy's neighbor was with the Stockton boys. We swapped stories while resting the horses.  While saddling our horses a man came “whip and spur” up Squaw Creek and said the Indian's had just started with a large bunch of horses, that they crossed Squaw Creek, 3 miles below and not more than 30 minutes before.  
Billy saddled his horse and sent for Silas Scarborough, his neighbor to come pilot us.  We numbered twelve.  We started double quick to beat, if possible, the Indians to the Gap.  About 10 or 11 o'clock, some our horses began to wear down and they thought best to stop and rest awhile. 
Coming to Wash Middleton's ranch, we got some millet for our horses, corralled, fed and placed a guard around them, and lay down for a nap.  It was tolerable dark, only starlight, Mr. Griggs being on guard about two o'clock saw a movement for a moment. Carefully he dropped crawled on all fours within 30 yards of them and then raised up and fired and brought him down.  At the crack of the gun, we were up with guns in hand, and demanded a reason for the alarm.  When Griggs said, he thought he shot an Indian, but found out he shot a calf!  We saddled our horses, mounted and started on.  We went a few miles together when it became necessary for us to separate. 
The Stockton boys took the horses with them and the Paluxy boys turned right and went home safe and sound; but fatigued having our 14-15 days on the move.
In February or March 1864, to the best of my recollection, Mr. Bryant sent his man to Goocher's Mill, 9 or 10 miles off, with a turn of corn on his horse.  They soon got into company with Mr. Scarborough, who was also going to the mill.  In the afternoon as they were returning, they got within a mile of the head of Prairie Creek, Mr. Bryant left them, turned left, and went through the woods to look for his hogs.  Scarborough and his farmhand stopped to let their horses drink at a waterhole.  When they suddenly discovered a number of Indians charging upon them from the woods, yelling like demons.  They saw at once their only hope of escape was by flight.  They turned with “whip and spur”, put their horses to their top speed and went for a cedar break some 2-3 hundred yards distant.  Mr. Scarborough was riding a good horse and he made it to the break just in time to save his scalp, the farmhand was less fortunate.  They caught him and wanted to take him with them, but he refused to go. 
They shot him with their arrows several times, emptied a sack of meal, and took the sack and the horse.  They left the man un-scalped and went south, crossing the Paluxy half a mile above Williams's mill. Mr. Scarborough returned home to raise the alarm. The neighbors came together as quick as possible where they found the farmhand not far from the cedar break, not able to walk, suffering intensely from the arrow wounds.  From there they trailed the Indians to where they crossed Paluxy going south.  The neighbors were concerned that Mr. Bryant had not come in.  As he was in the woods the Indians had come through, he was very likely to have fallen into their hands.  They took the back trail about one mile where they found Mr. Bryant dead and scalped.   The men brought both Mr. Bryant and the farmhand back home. The farmhand died several days later. 
Mr. Scarborough supposed there was 20 or more Indians. It was too late to go after them that evening but spread the word and made ready for an early start in the dawn. 
Some 40-50 men with rifles and shotguns arrived to help. The Indians loosed their horses and holed up under a rock overhang. The men quickly made plans to surround the hole at a safe distance and at the word “charge”, they rushed upon them from all sides. 
Firing into the hole killing all but one with the first fire. This ended the fight. The Indians were stripped of their belongings and left where lay for the vultures. The news soon spread over the country. The owners of the horses went and got their property at no expense, only their trouble. This ended all Indian troubles in this part of the country. The future for these early settlers began to look promising.
To be continued next month.
Somervell Historical Library, located in the Somervell County Public Library. Transcribed by Joan Echols Taylor.