Alan Elton Light, the man arrested last week for the attempted aggravated kidnapping of a woman in the parking lot at Brookshire's, has a record of arrests over the past five years for several incidents of public intoxication and assault against family members.

    Arrest and call reports obtained from the Somervell County Sheriff's Department under the Open Records Act paint a picture of a man with repeated problems with alcohol.

    Light, 55, was arrested early last Tuesday, April 27, for attempting to kidnap a 52-year-old woman as she was starting to leave the store parking lot in her car. The attempted abduction occurred around 7 p.m. Monday, April 26.

    Eyewitnesses and the victim, who requested anonymity, said the man opened her car door, pulled her out, waved a gun at her and ordered the woman to come with him in his pickup truck

    He grabbed her by the arm and said, “You are going with me.”

    “No, I'm not,” the woman responded.

    She struggled with him and was able to break away and ran to the entrance of Brookshire’s. There she met Ren Blanks, owner of Ranch House Barbecue, coming out of the store.

    The woman was yelling for help and saying that a man was trying to force her into his truck. Blanks got the license plate number and description of the vehicle the suspect was driving.

    The sheriff's department received a 911 call about the attempted abduction at 7:08 p.m.

    At about 1 a.m. Tuesday investigators obtained a warrant signed by Judge Ronnie Webb, Justice of the Peace, Precinct One. At 2:30 a.m. officers arrested Light at his home at 4331 South Highway 56 on the road to Eulogy.

    The victim was not harmed physically. She said she is very frightened and would like to maintain her privacy.

    Reached by phone, the victim said she remembered seeing a report on Oprah Winfrey's show that urged women never to get in a car with a would-be abductor. The message was “If you get in the car, you're dead,” she recalled.

    “So I decided there was no way I was going to get in his truck,” she said. “I made up my mind that I would die right there in the parking lot, but I wasn't going with him.”

    Derrell McCravey, Somervell County's chief deputy, said Light did not “actively resist” the arrest. Before obtaining the warrant, sheriff's officers had Light under surveillance at his residence and observed him trying to conceal his vehicle and other evidence, McCravey said.

    Officers recovered two weapons during the execution of the search warrant, one of which matches the description of the gun described by the victim, McCravey said.

    Light was charged with attempted aggravated kidnapping, a second-degree felony. He was arraigned last Tuesday afternoon by  Webb, who set his bond at $150,000. As of press time, Light had not posted bond and remained behind bars in the Somervell County Jail.

    Light and the victim did not know each other, authorities said.

    McCravey added that Light recently was separated from his wife and was going through some financial hardships.

    “But there was no indication he would do something like this,” McCravey said. “When his train went off the tracks, it ran completely off.”

    Asked what Light's motive was, McCravey said: “I can only speculate about motive, but I can tell you it was not an attempt at monetary gain.”

    Records show that in March 2004 Light was arrested for public intoxication after receiving a report of a disturbance at a home on East U.S. Highway 67. There, Light's wife at the time, Jacqueline Lynet Light, advised that her husband, who was not living with her, came to her house and began beating on the door.

    Her 16-year-old daughter opened the door to tell Light to leave. He barged in, pushed them around several times and, after a few minutes of arguing, threw the girl onto her bed. Neither mother nor daughter was physically injured, records show. However, the reporting officer added two simple assault charges and asked the justice of the peace to place an emergency protective order on Light.

    “Light had a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his person,” the arresting officer wrote in his report. “I believe he was a danger to himself and to others.”

    Last November, Light sought medical treatment at the Glen Rose Medical Center emergency room. According to an arrest report, Light was “extremely intoxicated” and told nurses that he had consumed a six-pack of beer. He was arrested for public intoxication.

    Records indicate other arrests and calls to the sheriff's department:

    •    In March 2009 Light also was arrested for public intoxication after showing up at his wife's residence and violating a protective order. “Subject came to the residence and refused to leave,” the dispatcher's operations report said. “Had been drinking. Got into a verbal argument.”

    •    Former wife Jacqueline Light also said that her husband “took the cell phone and threw it.”

    •    Also in March, Light had called the sheriff's department and said he had been drinking “a lot for several days – not drinking today – something not right wants an ambulance,” according to the dispatcher's operations report.

    •    In January 2009 Light's current wife, Melody, called the sheriff's department to check on her husband's welfare. She saw his truck parked at a local hotel and had been looking for him. She “wanted to know if her husband was in the jail or the ER,” the dispatcher' operations report said. She said that her husband, a truck driver, had “been depressed lately and she is concerned about his well-being.”

    Light also had financial problems. His home was foreclosed on and was one of the properties put up for sale Tuesday on the steps of the Somervell County Courthouse. The house, with an original principal of $127,400, had a mortgage with Colonial Savings of Fort Worth. The notice of trustee's sale posted on the bulletin board in the county annex building was dated April 12, two weeks before Light was arrested for the attempted kidnapping.

    Word of last week's  attempted abduction spread quickly in a town that has a relatively low crime rate and where people generally report feeling safe. It was the first time such a random attempted abduction has taken place in Glen Rose, he added.

    “We've not ever had one here and this hits us in the comfort level where we live,” McCravey said. “It's one of those things that could happen anywhere, anytime, any day.”

    In talking with sheriff officers, Light “did place himself at the Brookshire's and confess that he did try to get her (the victim) to go with him,” McCravey said.

    The sheriff's department interviewed Light's estranged wife, Melody. “She mentioned some issues” regarding Light, McCravey said. He also has a son and daughter-in-law in Granbury.

    Although the attempted kidnapping incident ended with no injuries, it underscored that even random acts of potential violence can and do occur in small towns such as Glen Rose and that people still need to be aware of their surroundings and the potential for crime.

    "Please warn all your friends," the eyewitness said. "We just can't be too careful, even in Glen Rose."

    The alert response by Blanks in getting the suspect's license number helped authorities respond quickly.

    We all need to be reminded from time to time to pay attention to the things around us,” McCravey added. “Folks paying attention helps us tremendously.”