A new Glen Rose area resident had to call of firefighters' assistance Monday afternoon.

Somervell County Fire Department responded a structure fire in the 2900 block of CR 312 just after 2 p.m. Monday.

The home is being rented by Jenna Hornbuckle, who moved to the area from Missouri in May after being hired on as an operator at Comanche Peak Power Plant, according Lisa Winkler, a family friend also staying at the residence.

Winkler said she was cleaning one end of the home and caring for Hornbuckle's 4-year-old son, Nicholas, when she heard the smoke detector go off.

"I was in the back room with Nicholas and had the dryer running at the other end of the house when I heard the alarm," Winkler said, adding she dialed 911 when she realized there was a fire somewhere in the home. "By the time I realized what was going on and got the front of the house, the smoke was so thick I couldn't see."

She said the smoke appeared to be coming from the laundry room, and fire crews reported flames were showing when they arrived.

Firefighters reportedly attempted to extinguish the small blaze with a fire extinguisher but ultimately had to use a fire hose to completely snuff out the flames before clearing the thick smoke from the residence.

Firefighters contacted dispatch at 2:40 p.m. to announce that the residence had been cleared.

Hornbuckle, who was rightfully distraught, said she had not yet purchased renter's insurance.

Meanwhile, Winkler said they do not have family in the immediate area or anyone else to turn to for assistance.

There were no injuries reported in the incident, but the full extent of the damage was not know at the time of this report. Additional details will be published as soon as they become available.