Less than two hours after the burn ban was lifted in Somervell County Thursday, firefighters were dispatched to a property on CR 320.

An individual at the property had dug a hole in the ground and was burning wood when the fire got out of control and spread to tall grass surrounding the burn site, according to Fire Marshal Dwayne Griffin.

In addition to igniting the grass, the small blaze spread to a metal shed that housed equipment and other items.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze.

County Judge Mike Ford lifted the 90-day burn ban effective at noon Thursday and the fire ignited just before 2 p.m.

While the burn ban was enacted by commissioners on Sept. 24, recent rainfall, elevated humidity level and an improvement in the drought conditions warranted a lift of the ban, Ford said.

Conditions have improved, but Griffin said common sense is a must when starting a fire.

"Although the burn ban was lifted, it 's still not 100 percent safe to burn," Griffin said. "People need to use common sense, and never burn near tall grass or when there are high winds."

Finally, Griffin said all county residents should call the sheriff's office at (254)897-2242 before burning to alert officials to the activity.