It's a well known fact that yellow jackets and water don't go well together.

This equation proved to be true on Friday, Sept. 11, when the Glen Rose Tigers dished out a 21-7 defeat of 2A power Boyd in the Tigers' rain-laden home opener.

Kickoff was originally set for 7:30 p.m. but an hour delay pushed pre-game warmups back to 8:15 and the two teams finally kicked off at 8:45 p.m.

When the action finally got under way, the Jackets struck first when Tim Flemming found Edgar Lugo behind the Tiger secondary for the score.

The Tigers offense retaliated when Colt Plaster found Kevin Brooks, who shook a defender and scampered 70 yards to the house.

Plaster then found Chase Evatt for the two-point conversion to put Glen Rose ahead 8-7.

The Glen Rose stop troops smothered the Boyd offense the rest of the way, and forced the Jackets to cough up the football four times on the night, three of which were recovered by the Tigers.

Brooks' touchdown reception proved to be the game-winner, but Plaster continued to pad the lead in the second quarter with a five-yard quarterback keeper and again in the fourth with a one-yard scoring dive.

Plaster managed to throw for 119 yards on 8-18 passing despite the not-so-pass-happy weather.

"The weather changed the way we played. We had to focus more on ball control and not giving them a short field. We wanted to make them go the length of the field in those conditions," Glen Rose head coach Tommy Dunn said. "There were situations where we had to pass despite the weather, and there were situations when the rain lightened up and we could throw it deep and the kids came through."

Ty Taylor hauled in five passes for 45 yards. Evatt and Brooks each grabbed one pass for two and 70 yards, respectively.

Plaster's other completion was to himself for 15 yards. The ball was batted right back into his hands before he took off for the positive gain.

The ground attack for the Tigers managed 160 yards on 42 attempts, with Evatt leading the way for the third consecutive week with 75 yards on 18 trips.

Plaster challenged Evatt for the team lead with 64 yards on 16 carries and the two scores.

Santos De La Garza and Dylan Rodriguez rounded out the rushing with 16 yards on six carries and five yards on two carries, respectively.

"Our offensive line has really improved since week one," said Dunn of the success in the running game.

Boyd's offense ran into a wall of Tigers defenders, tallying only 235 yards on 51 snaps and turning the ball over four times with three fumbles and a Ty Taylor interception.

"I wasn't going to sit back and let them run on us like they did last year," Glen Rose defensive coordinator Todd Swearengen said. "We stacked a lot of kids in the box and dared them to pass. They us once early but then we shut them down."

Boyd's Flemming completed six passes for 61 yards, while the Jacket ground game racked up 154 yards on 35 trips.

Jimmy Darch was the leading tackler with 10 for Glen Rose, while Shelby Junge tallied nine tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Jorge Espino made eight stops, picked up a fumble and recorded a pass deflection before leaving in the fourth quarter with an injury.

Beto Hernandez and Seth Mann tallied seven and six tackles, respectively.

The Tigers will travel to the Metroplex on Friday when they visit Carrollton Ranchview at 7:30 p.m.

"They are very athletic and have good speed. They're very similar to Mineral Wells," Dunn said. They have a good running back and quarterback and a good wide receiver who can beat you deep."