COLLEYVILLE – Only third base stood between Glen Rose and a chance at new life on Friday night.

However, the Tigers were unable to get the run end and saw their season come to a close after dropping their Class 3A Region II Area playoff series, two games to none, to Frisco Wakeland last week. Wakeland advances to meet Lake Worth in the regional quarterfinals.


Frisco Wakeland 9, Glen Rose 2

As opposed to the first round against Ranchview, Derek Thompson got roughed up early and often by the Wakeland hitters in the opener Thursday.

Thompson lasted only three and one third innings, getting touched up for seven runs on eight hits.

The big inning came in the second when Wakeland started with a lead-off double, and things only went down hill from there for Glen Rose. The Tigers added one physical error and a mental error, when third baseman Colt Plaster missed a tag, which allowed Frisco to post three runs in the frame.

Thompson did manage to strike out five batters in his limited time.

Glen Rose brought in lefty Immanuel Morales, who immediately served up a double play.

“It was very pleasing,” said Glen Rose coach Kenny Toney about Morales’ performance. “He did exactly what I wanted him to do. He came in and he competed. Overall, he did a very good job.”

Morales finished the contest, allowing only two additional runs on five hits and two walks.

The sticks were virtually absent all night. The Wakeland southpaw starter struck out every Tiger starter with the exception of Ty Taylor.

“We have got to know that we can get up there and be competitive.” said Toney. “It’s mental. I’ve always taught my hitters to be aggressive but selective and that is one thing I have to work on because these guys are too patient.”

Joe Betsill finished the game 1-4 with a single and two strikeouts, while Remy Robertson went 1-2 with a walk and an infield single that led to the first Tiger run.


Frisco Wakeland 5, Glen Rose 4

With Betsill standing on second base and only one down, the Tigers had two chances to tie the game in the top of the seventh inning of game two Friday.

After Betsill walked, Josh Teague sacrificed him to second base.

“He’s been hitting the ball great all year,” said Betsill. “I’m a little upset that he had to bunt but that’s what he had to do, the coach asked him to do it and he did it.“

Dylan Mobly struck out swinging, to bring up Derek Thompson.

“When on I was on second, I was ready for that double to come up and score the tying run to take it to extra innings or whatever. I never had a doubt in these guys,” said Betsill.

Thompson, with two strikes on him, sent a screamer to the right side of the infield, but it was snagged by the first baseman, ending the inning and the Tigers’ season.

Eliot Clerke finished the game 2-3 with a walk, while Betsill went 0-3 but reached on two fielder’s choices and scored two runs.

Teague was 1-3, while Mobly and Thompson went a combined 0-8, with each reaching on errors.

Mobly was also on the bump for the Tigers. He went the distance for Glen Rose while striking out six and walking three. All five runs were charged to Mobly on six hits.

Mobly got into some trouble in the fifth inning when he hit a batter with the bases loaded to tie the game.

“He did a great job, but it’s like I told him, this is a game of inches,” said Toney. “He let pitches get away from him at inopportune times.”

The Tigers will be bringing back established players such as Thompson, Taylor and Morales, but Toney said there isn’t enough he could say about the group of seniors he is losing.