IRS scam calls targeting Somervell County taxpayers
GLEN ROSE – As the calendar turned to December, it seems that a group of scam artists has taken it upon themselves to impersonate the Internal Revenue Service across the country. The scam, which has most popularly been conducted over the telephone, has now made its way to Somervell County, according to Sheriff’s Deputy Shane Tipton.
“Over the past three days or so, the Sheriff’s Office has received numerous calls from citizens who claim they have been contacted by the Internal Revenue Service,” Tipton said.
Tipton explained that the majority of the scam calls revolve around the individual, who claims to be with the IRS, advising the potential victim that if a certain amount of money is not paid immediately over the phone, then the IRS will begin seizing property and assets. The scam callers may even go so far as to falsely inform the taxpayer that if the money is not paid, the Somervell County Sheriff’s department will issue a warrant for his or her arrest.
“This is a scam,” Tipton assured. “The IRS does not conduct its business in this way, and do not solicit money over the phone. Again, this is a scam. Some people have received numerous calls from the person claiming to be with the IRS and report that the person is very demanding and pushy on the telephone.
“If you receive one of these calls, simply hang up and please do not send money. The Somervell County Sheriff’s office is aware of the scam.”
The IRS’ website also has a section directly related to the nation-wide scam, and lists five situations in which it will never put taxpayers in.
The IRS will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.