Tigers ousted from playoffs with 56-46 loss to Krum

Jay Hinton Glen Rose Reporter
Glen Rose's Kolton Mooney (1) gets called for the offensive foul in Tuesday's 56-46 playoff loss to Krum in Weatherford.

WEATHERFORD — Everything that went right for the Glen Rose Runnin’ Tigers in the first half in their Class 4A playoff opener again Krum on Tuesday night, went south in the second half, eventually leading to a 56-46 Tiger loss to the Bobcats.

The loss was a tale of two halves for the Tigers, the second-place team from District 7.

“In the first half, we played really well,” Glen Rose basketball coach Owen Clifton said. “We did a great job defensively and moved the ball really well.”

The Tigers led by as many as six in the first quarter before the Bobcats (17-18, 4-4) tied the score at 11-11 to end the quarter. Krum, the third-place team from District 8, took its first lead of the game at 16-14 with 5:30 left in the half.

Glen Rose responded, however, with a 15-2 run to take a 29-18 lead at the half.

Kolton Mooney started the run with a 3-pointer to regain the lead at 17-16. Jett Gould followed with a bucket to up the lead to 19-16. After Krum scored its lone bucket in the run to cut the lead to 19-18 with 2:24 left, the Tigers turned in on offensively with Austin Worthen draining a 3-pointer, Gould scoring four straight and Worthen knocking down another trifecta with 26 seconds left in the half to give the Tigers a game-high 11-point advantage at the break.

After the break, things went awry for the Tigers.

“We came out a little flat in the third quarter and lost our assignments too many times. On defense, we gave them too many easy buckets at the rim,” Clifton said. “We were not winning the one-on-one battles. They were putting more pressure on the the ball, but when we were able to go by them, the ball got too sticky. The ball movement was gone from the first half.”

The Tigers still maintained an 11-point lead after a Worthen 3-pointer with 6:38 left in the third quarter, but that was the only GR basket in the quarter, and the first of only four buckets in the second half.

Glen Rose went scoreless in the final 4:22, and Bobcats took advantage and eventually tied the score at 34-34 with 55 seconds left in the quarter, and took the lead for good with four more points to end period with a 38-34 advantage. 

Trailing 40-34, the Tigers finally broke the five-minute scoring drought with a bucket by Mooney to trim the lead to four with 6:44 left.

The Tigers were still within striking distance down six with 2:01 left, but they managed just three free throws down the stretch, and the Bobcats hit 8 of 12 foul shots in the waning minutes to build a lead as high as 13 before a Matthew Hammonds 3-pointer at the buzzer.

Glen Rose connected on just 13 of 24 foul shots for the game, including 6 of 12 in the second half. 

“We normally are a good free-throw shooting team, but when you can’t make them in the fourth you cannot mount a comeback,” Owen said.

Worthen led the Tigers with 15 points, including four 3-pointers, and Mooney finished with 11. Hammonds tallied nine, all on 3-pointers, and Gould, who battled foul trouble all of the second half, closed out his career with six.

“It was a tough loss for sure,” Owen said. “Krum did a great job in the second half of getting away from our game plan. I’m proud of our boys and have a lot of areas to grow, but we are moving in the right direction.”

The Tigers end the season 18-17 overall and 6-2 in league play.